Red Seas Under Red Skies Read-Along Week One
Following on from the Lies of Locke Lamora Read-Along we’re back for the second book in the series Red Seas Under Red Skies. I enjoyed the first book quite a lot so I was excited to get started. This weeks questions were supplied by Bryce from My Awful Reviews, here are the questions and my answers:
1. The Sinspire. It looks like our heroes (can they really be called that?) find themselves in search of a way into an unbeatable vault. Do you think they have what it takes to make it happen?
After everything they pulled off in the last book I’m pretty confident that an unbeatable vault wont be too much trouble for them. A few complications have come up already though so I don’t imagine it’s going to be smooth sailing. I was glad to see that things have started to go wrong almost immediately, the story has really hit the ground running and gotten the book off to a great start.
2. Anyone want to guess how they’re going to make it happen?
No idea yet.
3. It’s a little different this time around, with us just being focused on Locke and Jean. Is anyone else missing the rest of the Bastards as much as I am?
It is a little different but I think I prefer it this way. Instead of a group of characters that we don’t know all that well we’re now focused on two characters that we are quite familiar with. I feel much more invested in Locke and Jean as a team than I did with The Gentlemen Bastards as a group. Although I do miss all the banter that came along with the Bastards.
4. I love the section where Jean starts to build a new guild of thieves. It really shows just how well trained and tough he is. Do you think the Bastards will end up training others along the way again like Bug?
I loved that section too, it was my favourite part of this weeks reading. The fact that Jean was able to outclass the other thieves so easily just goes to show that he is so much more than a common criminal. I get the impression that they will end up training others, I think they both miss having a band of brothers. I think that will be more of a long term goal though, I can’t see it happening too soon.
5. For those of you looking for Sabetha, we still haven’t spotted her yet. Anyone else chomping at the bit to see the love of Locke’s life?
I’m going to be excited when we finally do meet Sabetha but for the moment I’m enjoying all the little clues we’re hearing about her. This is going to make it all the more satisfying when she does finally make an appearance.
6. It’s early on, but the Bastards are already caught up in plots that they didn’t expect. How do you think their new “employer” is going to make use of them (The Archon, that is)?
Well I assume he’s going to want them to pull off a con of some sort since that’s the Bastards speciality, but beyond that I really don’t know yet.
That’s it for this week, before I go I just wanted to say that I’m really enjoying the book so far. The first book got off to quite a slow start with a lot of set up and it really took me the first hundred pages or so to get into it. This book really grabbed me from the start though, it seems to have a faster pace and more of a sense of fun. With The Lies of Locke Lamora being such a strong first book Read Seas Under Red Skies has a lot to live up to but so far it’s off to a great start.